The Houses of Beaumont Village
Beaumont House is not the only house that was built at the early stages of South Australian settlement. There are other houses nearby in what was the village of Beaumont, that were built early and some of which still remain. For example there is Gleeville, a six roomed wooden house, built in 1838- 1839 (Simpson 1993: 146). The house has since been demolished, however, the stables built on this bit of land for the owner’s stallion, Abdallah, still remain (Simpson 1993: 145). On an area nearby stands Tower House, which is known to have been built sometime before 1850. The house had eight rooms but it is believed the house had no tower until the late 1960’s (Simpson 1993: 148). A large number of various occupants transferred in and out of Tower House in the twentieth century (Simpson 1993: 149). Ferndale is another house that went through various occupants and was transferred numerous times until it was demolished in 1980-1981 (Simpson 1993: 150).
Norley Bank, another nearby house, was built in 1853-1854 by Peter Egerton Warburton. Warburton was commissioner of police, a justice of the peace and he was also an explorer. He led teams to places like Streaky Bay, Lake Eyre and Cooper Creek (Simpson 1993: 150). He also led an exploration in 1872-1873 across Australia from the centre to the Western Australian Coast. This made him famous and his book Journey across the Western Interior of Australia was published in 1875 (Simpson 1993: 151). Warburton retired to Norley Bank in 1877 and spent the rest of his life there. The house was transferred between various relatives until Norley Bank was demolished in 1972 (Simpson 1993: 150).
Holly Grange is one of the houses that still remain today. The house was built in the early 1850’s and had seven rooms. The house and land expanded over time and received various occupants throughout the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries (Simpson 1993: 152). The Giles House is the last of the noted houses in Beaumont Village, built in 1855-56 by William Giles (Simpson 1003: 153). Giles House has a similar story to that of Ferndale, in that numerous occupants lived in the house until it was demolished in 1962 (Simpson 1993: 154). The history of these houses and their proximity to Beaumont House demonstrate a close community when Beaumont Village was at its peak. Although not all of the houses still exist, the ones that have remained are more important because they can tell us a great deal about the history and people of Adelaide.
Reference: Simpson, E. R. 1993 Beaumont House: The Land and its People. Adelaide: Beaumont Press.