Finally, the Ngaut Ngaut brochures have been printed. This was not an easy task. I had originally planned to get the brochures printed by a professional printing company. However, after making some phone calls, it became clear that using a printing company would be more work that originally expected. I was worried that the colours of the brochure would turn out different to how they looked when printed out on my home printer. Also, there was a worry that the specific folding specifications of a printing company would require the columns to be set in a very specific way. As the printing companies intended to charge for every adjustment made to the original file (once I submitted it to them), I was reluctant to go with a printing company at all.
It was therefore decided that the brochures would be printed at Flinders University with the help of my Industry Partner, Dr Amy Roberts. I spent a good deal of time looking for double-sided glossy A4 paper to print the brochures on. After searching range of retail stores with no luck, I decided to ask a few printing companies. As it turned out, ‘A Splash of Colour’ and ‘Copies and More’ both had potentially suitable paper. Amy and I printed the brochure on both types of paper. We soon realised that 210 grams per square meter (gsm) was far too thick for a brochure. The 170 gsm paper from ‘A Splash of Colour’ was, therefore, selected as the paper of choice. Disappointingly, we found that the Humanities printer we used was a Duplex machine which left a 1cm border of white around the edge of each brochure (I’ll get back to this later).
The next day I returned to ‘A Splash of Colour’ and purchased two reams (500 sheets) of the 170 gsm paper. Back at uni, Amy and I printed 50 copies just to test out the paper once more. I was annoyed to find that there were white streaks on a number of the brochures and other were missing ink entirely in places. We put this down to the thickness of the paper we were using. Having shown a few people drafts of the brochure in the past, I had remembered a few positive comments regarding the thickness of the normal printer paper used by the Flinders Uni printers. With few options left, Amy and I decided to use the normal printer paper that was already in the printer. Two hundred copies were printed. However, only 137 came out of the printer unscathed (I think using the printer for intensive colour printing for so long may have caused the damage to this batch).
I was then faced with a brochure-based dilemma! If I chose to have the brochures machine-trimmed (to remove the white border) then the brochures would be too small to fit in a normal industrial folding machine. Conversely, if I got the brochures machine-folded, then they would need to be re-flattened in order to fit in a folding-machine. I decided to go with the first option and took them to Officeworks for trimming. I was then faced with the unenviable task of folding the brochures by hand. Luckily, I enlisted the help of a family member and we folded the collection in an afternoon.
Maybe I was wrong to think that printing them myself would make things easier…..